Original Medicare is combined coverage of Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B. For many, enrollment into Medicare Part A and B is automatic, while others must self-enroll.
You are eligible for Original Medicare if you:
- 65 or older
- Are a U.S. citizen
- Are a permanent legal resident of at least five years
- Have ESRD
To be automatically enrolled in Original Medicare, you must be:
- Receiving Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board benefits four months before you turn 65
- Under 65 with a disability and have received SSDI for at least 24 months
- Diagnosed with ALS
If you are automatically enrolled in Original Medicare, you will have premium-free Part A. However, Part B will still require a premium payment. You also qualify for premium-free Part A if you have worked at least ten years and paid into Medicare taxes.
If you are not automatically enrolled, you will need to contact your local Social Security office to start the enrollment process.
Part A Coverage
Part A covers inpatient care in a hospital. Part A also covers:
- Skilled nursing facility (SNF) care
- Nursing home care
- Home health care
- Hospice care
Part B Coverage
Part B covers outpatient care. It also covers:
- Medically necessary services
- Preventive services
- Durable medical equipment
- Ambulance services
- Mental health services
- Specific outpatient prescriptions
- X-rays and lab tests
Need Original Medicare Coverage?
If you are nearing eligibility but are unsure how to enroll or if you will be automatically enrolled, reach out to Barnhart Insurance Group today. We will walk you through the enrollment process.
Get Free Help
Book a FREE Consultation